Walmart celebrates 50 years


I see a future where my granddaughter buys clothes and food at Walmart, banks at Walmart,gets phone service from Walmart, medical, vision and dental treatment at Walmart, and there is nowhere left in town to work besides Walmart so she gets hired there for less than 40 hours a week so that they don’t have to give her any benefits, such as sick leave, health insurance, retirement.

How far have we come from the days of share cropping and company towns? Not far me thinks.

I don’t shop at Walmart for my granddaughter. One by one we CAN make a difference.

Yes they are cheaper. I won't even go into all the reasons why here but among them are exploitation of workers - would YOU produce all of these items for pennies an hour? This is mostly done in other countries because our workers don't want to do slave labor. Would YOU grow AND harvest massive amounts of tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers and sell them for 10 cents a pound or less to Walmart? Would YOU work on an assembly line for 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week until there is no feeling left in your hands and there is no circulation in your feet anymore?

I HAVE to have a roof over my head, food in my tummy and a way to get to work. So, in reality, there is nothing at Walmart that is more important than my granddaughters future. I don't need closets packed with clothes, the faded towels still work just fine, and bread, dairy, and meat? I don't eat that any way.

Brianna - this is my gift to you and all of the little children who will be here after I am gone. I hope you have a world where you can work in a meaningful job that will treat you as you deserve to be treated, and have a community that is healthy and self sustaining.

No comments: